Personality traits affect how you adapt to change, how you interact with others and lots of other things. Your personality basically determines how you experience life! Being aware of different aspects of your personality is helpful to identify your path to peace and happiness.
So, what is a proactive personality? People with this type of personality believe that they create their environment rather than it being forced upon them. Of course, they recognize that other circumstances beyond their control have an influence, but those with a strong proactive personality take action to influence their environment in spite of the uncontrollable. They feel responsible for their own success and they take action to make it so.
The degree to which you have or adopt a proactive personality can identify the potential for your success. Have you ever thought of a good idea or heard of what seemed to be a really good opportunity but never did anything about it? Me too.
The good news is, you don’t have to be born with the characteristics of a proactive personality – they can be learned.
Proactive people not only look for opportunities, but when they find one they act on it. If you struggle to take action, here are a few things to consider.
1. You can do some self reflection to identify any fears you may have. Many people fear failure – some even fear success. Whatever your fears are – it’s critical to identify them. Then, you can decide what to do.
2. Be honest with yourself – are you a perfectionist? Recognize that you can do the best you can do – but nothing and no one is ever perfect. If you’re waiting for just the right time, or just the right circumstances, you’re making excuses.
3. Get clear about what you want. Success means different things to different people. You need to determine whatever it means to you
Challenges are part of life. When problems arise, proactive people find solutions. Some problem solving techniques might help you develop this skill if you struggle with this:
1. Identify the problem clearly. There are times when you know there’s a problem standing in your way, but you can’t exactly define it. Sometimes it helps to make a pros and a cons list. Sometimes it just helps to describe the problem in writing.
2. Come up with as many solutions to the problem as you can think of – no matter how ridiculous they may sound. Write them all down.
3. Once you have the list of potential solutions, take a moment to contemplate each one and ask yourself why it could work and why it would be challenging. Write your conclusions down.
Using this process honestly will help you solve any problem.
Learning doesn’t stop when you’re out of school. Continual self-improvement is one of the characteristics of a proactive personality. Taking courses, reading an interesting book, learning to do a craft… there are many ways to improve.
This requires time and effort and is just something you need to decide to do. Your specific interests will drive you.
This is an important part of staying vibrant and dealing positively with life no matter what.
Proactive people take responsibility for their actions. This is key. I might get on a soap box about what I call a ‘victim mentality’ – which is the exact opposite of taking responsibility. I’m not saying that bad things don’t happen.
A person with a victim mentality will first blame others or circumstances for the unfortunate things that happen to them.
Someone who takes personal responsibility reflects on how they might have been able to prevent or at least correct the issue. They tend not to beat themselves up, but rather learn from the experience and move on.
Your own values will have an impact on this trait. If you don’t think you can control your future, you may struggle with this. People with a proactive personality have a strong personal belief that they can have a positive impact on their own life.
These are the main traits of a proactive personality.
Remember, it doesn’t matter if you’re born with these characteristics. You can learn them.
Use the steps to take action on this information. Determine which of these traits you’d like to develop and do it!
Please leave a comment below. I am here to help in any way I can.